Meet Bishop Pates
On April 10, 2008, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI appointed Bishop Richard Pates the ninth bishop of the Diocese of Des Moines. On that day, Bishop Pates outlined his thoughts as the shepherd for the Catholic diocese of central and southwest Iowa.
"It might reasonably be asked, do I have any themes or priorities that I anticipate will characterize my ministry in Des Moines. Naturally, the first is commitment to my role as pastor - maintaining openness to situations and needs of the moment."
Since his installation on May 29, 2008, Bishop Pates' priorities have been:
- Building up a vocation culture that invites everyone to play a role
- Reaching out to newcomers, particularly Spanish-speaking people
- Educating on and experiencing evangelization
- Marriage & Family Life
- Engaging youth and young adults as vibrant and valued members of the faith community
To request a meeting/visit
To request Bishop Pates’ presence at a parish or school event, contact his office at least four weeks prior to the event. If you plan to have a prayer service or liturgy with Bishop present, please contact the Worship Office as soon as possible. You can view his upcoming schedule below.
To request a papal blessing
Please complete this form and return to the bishop's office at the Catholic Pastoral Center, 601 Grand Ave., Des Moines, IA 50309 or email to Angie Hemmingsen.
Bishop Pates has served on the Board of Directors of the North American College in Rome and is past chair of the International Justice and Peace Committee of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.
He also serves on the following boards:
- National Advisory Board, Center for the Study of Church Management, Villanova University
- Episcopal Advisory Board for the Cause for Beatification of the Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
- Board of Regents, Conception Seminary, Conception, Mo.
- Bread for the World
- Liaison of U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops to Catholic Climate Covenant
- Member, USCCB Sub-Committee on Immigration
To learn more about Bishop Pates, check out his:
|Bishop Richard Pates has a column that appears in the monthly diocesan newspaper, The Catholic Mirror.
- January 2018 -- English and Spanish-- Called to be Catholic
- February 2018 -- English and Spanish-- A Blessed Birthday
- March 2018 -- English and Spanish-- Strategic Planning for Catholic Schools
- April 2018 -- English and Spanish-- Papal Honor Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice to be Awarded
- May 2018 -- English and Spanish -- On Churches and Safety
- June 2018 -- English and Spanish -- Embracing the Future with Prayer
- July 2018 -- English and Spanish -- In Media Stat Virtus
- August 2018 -- English and Spanish -- Blessed with 17 new deacons
- September 2018 -- English and Spanish -- Sexual Abuse Crisis in the Church
- October 2018 -- English and Spanish -- Gratitude
Special farewell section column, English only
- For columns from 2008-2016, please contact Anne Marie Cox in the diocesan Communications Office.
- Bishop Richad Pates, at the invitation of the Pastoral Care Committee, Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph, Missouri, delivered three talks on Oct. 25, 2018 entitled: "A Hunger for Communion and Reconciliation in a Time of Stress."
Theme One: Identifying Grievances, Points of Division, Discussion Questions
Theme Two: Reconciling, Discussion Questions
Theme Three: Satisfying a Hunger for Communion, Discussion Questions
The following is Bishop Richard Pates’ schedule for the upcoming weeks. To request Bishop Pates’ presence at a parish or school event, contacthis office at least four weeks prior to the event. If you plan to have a prayer service or liturgy with Bishop present, please contact the Worship Office as soon as possible.
2019 Confirmation Schedule