Meet Bishop Pates
On April 10, 2008, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI appointed Bishop Richard Pates the ninth bishop of the Diocese of Des Moines. On that day, Bishop Pates outlined his thoughts as the shepherd for the Catholic diocese of central and southwest Iowa.
"It might reasonably be asked, do I have any themes or priorities that I anticipate will characterize my ministry in Des Moines. Naturally, the first is commitment to my role as pastor - maintaining openness to situations and needs of the moment."
Since his installation on May 29, 2008, Bishop Pates' priorities have been:
- Building up a vocation culture that invites everyone to play a role
- Reaching out to newcomers, particularly Spanish-speaking people
- Educating and experiencing evangelization
- Engaging youth and young adults as vibrant and valued members of the faith community
To request Bishop Pates’ presence at a parish or school event, contact his office at least four weeks prior to the event. If you plan to have a prayer service or liturgy with Bishop present, please contact the Worship Office as soon as possible. You can view his upcoming schedule below.
Bishop Pates has served on the Board of Directors of the North American College in Rome and is past chair of the International Justice and Peace Committee of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.
He also serves on the following boards:
- National Advisory Board, Center for the Study of Church Management, Villanova University
- Episcopal Advisory Board for the Cause for Beatification of the Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
- Board of Regents, Conception Seminary, Conception, Mo.
- Bread for the World
- Liaison of U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops to Catholic Climate Covenant
- Member, USCCB Sub-Committee on Immigration
To learn more about Bishop Pates, check out his:
|Bishop Richard Pates has a column that appears in the monthly diocesan newspaper, The Catholic Mirror.
- January 2018 -- English and Spanish-- Called to be Catholic
- February 2018 -- English and Spanish-- A Blessed Birthday
- March 2018 -- English and Spanish-- Strategic Planning for Catholic Schools
- April 2018 -- English and Spanish-- Papal Honor Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice to be Awarded
- May 2018 -- English and Spanish -- On Churches and Safety
- June 2018 -- English and Spanish -- Embracing the Future with Prayer
- For columns from 2008-2016, please contact Anne Marie Cox in the diocesan Communications Office.
|The following are recent homilies of Des Moines Bishop Richard Pates. To receive a copy of an earlier homily, please contact the diocesan Communications Office.
|"In the Heartland With Bishop Pates" is a weekly 30-minute radio show airing live each Friday at 9 a.m. on Iowa Catholic Radio and the Spirit Catholic Radio Network.
The following are some recent shows. To get audio from past shows, contact co-host Kelly Mescher Collins.
- April 27: Catholic Foundation of Southwest Iowa with Chris McCarville
- April 20: 10 Year Anniversary of the Postville Raid
- April 13: Emmaus House
- April 6: Beginning Experience for those who have lost loved one through death, divorce, separation
- March 30: People entering Catholic Church at Easter Vigil
- March 23: The New Moment
- March 16: The Chrism Mass
- March 9: Building the Kingdom Fundraiser
- March 2: Schools Strategic Planning
The following is Bishop Richard Pates’ schedule for the upcoming weeks. To request Bishop Pates’ presence at a parish or school event, contacthis office at least four weeks prior to the event. If you plan to have a prayer service or liturgy with Bishop present, please contact the Worship Office as soon as possible.
2018 Confirmation Schedule