Background screening will include (but may not be limited to) the following people within the diocese:
- All priests, deacons, and candidates for ordination.
- Chancery administrative and professional staff.
- All Catholic Charities staff. Catholic Charities volunteers who have regular (i.e., three or more hours each month) contact with minors.
- All Catholic Charities shelter employees and volunteers, with the exception of volunteer shelter meal providers.
- All other paid staff members who have regular (i.e., three or more hours each month) contact with minors.
- All coaches and volunteers who have regular (i.e., three or more hours each month) contact with minors, senior citizens, persons who habitually lack the use of reason and developmentally disabled people of the parishes and schools, including, but not limited to, volunteers in programs such as religious education, youth ministry, various youth sporting and camping activities, et cetera.
- Note: One-time volunteers will not be subject to the VIRTUS or background screening requirements unless they participate in an overnight retreat or trip with youth. Contract employees, such as lawn mowing services, temporary office help, et cetera, are not required to be screened. However, it is recommended that parishes and schools check with contract companies to learn more about their screening practices.
All current staff and potential employees, as well as volunteers who have regular (i.e., three hours or more per month) contact with children will also undergo a Child Abuse Registry Check through the Iowa Department of Human Services.