Meet Bishop Emeritus Richard Pates
On April 10, 2008, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI appointed Bishop Richard Pates the ninth bishop of the Diocese of Des Moines. On July 18, 2019, Pope Francis accepted his resignation and appointed Father William Joensen as the 10th bishop of the diocese.
You are welcome to email Bishop Pates with this link.
Bishop Pates has served on the Board of Directors of the North American College in Rome and is past chair of the International Justice and Peace Committee of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.
He also serves on the following boards:
- National Advisory Board, Center for the Study of Church Management, Villanova University
- Episcopal Advisory Board for the Cause for Beatification of the Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
- Board of Regents, Conception Seminary, Conception, Mo.
- Bread for the World
- Member, USCCB Sub-Committee on Hispanic Affairs
To learn more about Bishop Pates, check out his:
- For columns from 2008-2018, please contact Anne Marie Cox in the diocesan Communications Office.
- Bishop Richard Pates, at the invitation of the Pastoral Care Committee, Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph, Missouri, delivered three talks on Oct. 25, 2018 entitled: "A Hunger for Communion and Reconciliation in a Time of Stress."
Theme One: Identifying Grievances, Points of Division, Discussion Questions
Theme Two: Reconciling, Discussion Questions
Theme Three: Satisfying a Hunger for Communion, Discussion Questions