Jesus calls on us to love our neighbor. There are many ways one can be of service to others by helping within our own families, helping our next door neighbors and friends, and reaching out to organizations that need volunteers.
Here are a few Catholic organizations that could use some help:
- Bishop Drumm Care Center, 3837 Winwood Dr., Johnston. Contact the Volunteer Coordinator
- Catholic Charities, 601 Grand Ave., Des Moines. Contact Emily Klisares, Community Relations Manager, 515-237-5078
- Connection Café, 600 6th Ave., Des Moines, 515-771-1481 (this is managed by several downtown churches including St. Ambrose Cathedral) Rob Hoover
- Des Moines Area Religious Council Emergency Food Pantry, 100 Army Post Rd., Des Moines. Contact person.
- House of Mercy, 1409 Clark St., Des Moines, 515-643-6500. Contact Todd Beveridge.
- Mercy Medical Center, 1111 6th Ave., Des Moines, 515-247-3246. Contact Volunteer Services.