Jesus calls on us to love our neighbor. There are many ways one can be of service to others by helping within our own families, helping our next door neighbors and friends, and reaching out to organizations that need volunteers.
Here are a few Catholic organizations that could use some help:
- Bishop Drumm Care Center, 3837 Winwood Dr., Johnston. Contact the Volunteer Coordinator
- Catholic Charities, 601 Grand Ave., Des Moines. Contact Leslie Van Der Molen, 515-237-5019
- Connection Café, 600 6th Ave., Des Moines, 515-771-1481 (this is managed by several downtown churches including St. Ambrose Cathedral) Rob Hoover
- Des Moines Area Religious Council Emergency Food Pantry, 1435 Mulberry St., Des Moines. Contact person.
- Gabriel Project (through Christ the King Parish), 515-707-8642 5711 SW 9th St., Volunteer Coordinator Marilyn Sharp
- House of Mercy, 1409 Clark St., Des Moines, 515-643-6500. Contact Todd Beveridge.
- Mercy Medical Center, 1111 6th Ave., Des Moines, 515-247-3246. Contact Volunteer Services.