Ways to Give
"How shall I make a return to the Lord for all the good He has done for me?"
- PSALM 116:12
The simplest and most frequently used method of providing support for the Diocese or any of the diocesan entities is a through a cash donation. The Diocese of Des Moines accepts gifts made by check, electronic funds transfer (EFT) or credit card authorization (Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express). You may benefit from such gifts with a charitable deduction on your tax return. The Diocese of Des Moines will provide donors with a written accounting of gifts totaling $250 or more at the end January of each year for the past calendar year. True cash gifts (not checks), regardless of the amount, must be evidenced by a receipt from the charitable organization.
Endow Iowa Tax Credit Program
Donors can maximize their giving by taking advantage of the Endow Iowa Tax Credit program. The Catholic Foundation of Southwest Iowa has partnered with The Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines, a qualified community foundation, to provide access to Endow Iowa Tax Credits. Endow Iowa allows taxpayers to receive a 25% Iowa tax credit in addition to normal federal charitable income tax deductions for certain charitable gifts.
How it works:
- A variety of gifts qualify for Endow Iowa Tax Credits including cash, real estate, appreciated securities and outright gifts of retirement assets.
- Tax credits of 25% of the gifted amount are limited to $300,000 in tax credits per individual for a gift of $1.2 million or $600,000 in tax credits per couple for a gift of $2.4 million if both are Iowa taxpayers.
- Eligible gifts will qualify for credits on a first-come/first-serve basis until the yearly appropriated limit is reached. If the current available Endow Iowa Tax Credits have been awarded, qualified donors will be eligible for the next year's Endow Iowa Tax Credits. The Community Foundation encourages donors to act early in the year to ensure they receive Endow Iowa credits.
- All qualified donors can carry forward the tax credit for up to five years after the year the donation was made.
- Endow Iowa Tax Credits allow donors to have even greater impact on their philanthropic interests!
We encourage donors to consult with tax advisors to review their individual circumstances.
To utilize the Endow Iowa Tax Credit program for the benefit of the diocese, please contact the Stewardship Office
Gift of Grain
Donors who are interesting in gifting grain to the Diocese of Des Moines should contact the Stewardship Office
Gifts of grain are a unique and often underutilized way to make a charitable gift. Using grain to make a gift to the can be a wonderful way to support your Church while achieving tax savings.
Donors are encouraged to visit with their tax advisor before gifting grain. Farmers should consider gifting grain directly, rather than selling the grain and making a gift from the proceeds. By making a direct transfer, farmers may benefit from a more significant tax savings. Contributing grain allows farmers to avoid the sale of the commodity as income, while the production costs may still be deductible. Reducing taxable income may provide advantages such as minimizing or eliminating self-employment tax and reducing adjusted gross income.
Gifts of Stock
An outright gift of appreciated securities, or stock, to the Diocese of Des Moines is a quick and easy way to make a meaningful gift, avoid the capital gains tax and receive an income tax deduction for the fair market value of the stock at the time of the gift.
Gifting stock held more than 12 months offers a two-fold tax savings. First, you avoid paying capital-gains tax on the increase in value of your stock. Additionally, you receive a tax deduction for the full fair market value of the stock on the date of the gift. Subtracting the tax savings from what you originally paid for the stock can result in a gift that costs just pennies on the dollar. This is an excellent vehicle to make a donation from stock that has appreciated substantially in value.
To provide a gift of stock, please reference our Stock Transfer Instructions. If you hold physical stock certificates you would like to transfer, please contact the Stewardship Office
A memorial gift is a wonderful way to honor someone you love. Gifts of cash or credit card are accepted. You may complete this form and mail a check to the Diocese of Des Moines at 601 Grand Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50309 or visit dmdiocese.thankyou4caring.org and choose the memorial option from the drop down menu. Please include the name of the person you are honoring and any special instructions in the comments section when making a gift. The family of your loved one will be notified of your kindness.