Process for Filing a Complaint

Complaint Regarding a Priest or Deacon

To file a complaint regarding a priest or deacon, or to seek support or counseling, please contact Sam Porter, the diocesan Victim Assistance Advocate, at (515) 286-2015 or e-mail A report form is available in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese. The victim is also encouraged to report to local civic authorities.

Those wishing to file a complaint can also write to the diocesan Victim Assistance Advocate at:

Sam Porter
Victim Assistance Advocate - Diocese of Des Moines
Polk County Crisis & Advocacy Services
2309 Euclid Ave
Des Moines, IA 50309

A victim can also call Polk County Crisis & Advocacy Services at 515-286-3600. The agency will provide advocacy with the diocese regardless of where the victim is living. It can also refer victims to an advocate in their local community.

Una alegación de abuso sexual de un menor de edad por un parroco de la iglesia católica se puede hacer contactando a la encargada(o) de Asistencia para Victimas de la dióceses. Para contactarse con la encargada(o), llame al (515) 286-2015.

Complaint Regarding a Bishop

The Catholic Bishop Abuse Reporting Service has been established to receive reports of sexual abuse and related misconduct by bishops, and to relay those reports to proper Church authorities for investigation. Where a report includes a crime, such as the sexual abuse of a minor, it will also be reported to civil authorities. Otherwise, reports will be kept confidential. To report abuse, go to or call 800-276-1562.